We value a culture of paying it forward and therefore engage in various outreach activities, either as a group or individually. Below are some of the outreach initiatives in which current lab members have been involved. Some of us have also been working closely with the association Ary Saina in Madagascar in communicating science to Malagasy students and general public by translating and sharing the findings of scientific research in Malagasy via the association's Facebook page.
2021. Onja Razafindratsima shares her story and career path in becoming a scientist on Duolingo French podcast.
2021. Popular article written by Onja Razafindratsima in Kintana Magazine to share with Malagasy students what an academic job entails. Text is in Malagasy.
2021. Translation of IUCN Primate Specialist Group's guidelines for responsible images of non-human primates into Malagasy to reach various entities in Madagascar, which is home to about 20% of the world's primate diversity. PDF here.
2020. Video in Malagasy produced with ExploreHome Madagascar about our research on seed dispersal by lemurs, as part of their #AskAScientist event targeted for high school students in Madagascar.
2020. Video in Malagasy produced with ExploreHome Madagascar about our research on plant phenology, as part of their #AskAScientist event targeted for high school students in Madagascar.
2020. Video in Malagasy produced with ExploreHome Madagascar in which Onja Razafindratsima shares her career path as part of their #AskAScientist event targeted for high school students in Madagascar.
Razafindratsima's talk at the Oxford Center for Tropical Forests seminar series, 2021
Highlight of Razafindratsima's work at South Dakota State University, 2020
Razafindratsima's lecture talk as a Hrdy Fellow at Harvard University, 2017
Past Media Coverage
- IB Insight: "Always a First", 2020
- The College Today: "Potential Effects of Lemur Extinction", 2018
- UPI: “Lemur losses could threaten Madagascar’s largest tree species”, 2018
- Futurity: “Without lemur poo, Madagascar’s trees may be doomed”, 2018
- Science Daily: “Loss of lemurs might endanger many of Madagascar’s largest tree species”, 2018
- Rice News: “Saving the tress in not enough”, 2018
- ESA blog: “Madagascar team tracks lemurs as they spread the seeds of the rainforest”, 2014